Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Adventures with Form in Space

I saw this interesting show posted over at Gravestmor. To quote:

“Adventures with Form in Space”is the theme of this year’s Balnaves Sculpture Project at the AGNSW. And it is a particularly good year.

Hot on the heels of NASA’s announcement that Dark Matter exists, comes Nike
Savvas’s accurately title installation “Atomic: full of love, full of wonder”. It is an amazing room of freeze framed atoms that apart from some maverick dad letting his daughter play and tug at the sculpture, leaves the assembled viewers quietly agog. Suspended polystyrene balls held in place on nylon wire fill the room in a rough grid, running though the spectrum from reds to blues up the room with a few rogue orange balls escaping their hue, bubbling up into the cooler tones.

This work touches on what Steven Larose has been sorting through with his new works on paper series. Also this post on the "end" of string theory, by Bill Gusky comes to mind as it references a new concept, "braids". Bill links to this article: You are made of space-time. The braid theory, or rather "Loop Quantum Gravity", is in its early stages but may be able to merge general relativity and quantum mechanics into a single consistent theory. As Bill wonders - will this change our view of ourselves? How will it manifest in the art we make? I wonder if it will further underscore the growing divide between political will and scientific discovery? Perhaps a growing role for artists is to fill that gap in some way.

7 comments:

Chris Rywalt said...

It seems to me a sculpture like this demands that someone tug at it. It wants to be played with. If I were going to do something similar, I'd make it as interactive as possible, just like real molecules.

highlowbetween said...

C- well if you installed all that string you might feel differently ;)
Its a preparator's nightmare.

Anonymous said...

Whoa. I love the moment when the fans "blow the whole thing into a jittery field of wobbling uncertainty." I was thinking about chris's observation last night and wondered if it was bad that the whole installation might be safer behind glass. Is it one huge diorama? And then I thought of how James Turrell can make environments (dioramas of light?) that allow the viewer to participate in the awe. Anyway, definitely up my alley highlow. Thanks for the link to gravestmor too.

Steven. (posting anon until blogger says otherwise).

highlowbetween said...

Hey S - its pretty great piece I think. Wish I could see it. I like that blog - tons of good stuff.

Are you using the Beta version now?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm doing the beta thing. I saw Ashes doing it, so jumped on the wagon. My jury is still out. Maybe I'll try commenting as "other" this time.

highlowbetween said...

he doesn't like it - guess I'm holding for now

Anonymous said...

Looks mesmerising. Reminds me of Cornelia Parker's 'Cold Dark Matter: An Exploded View'.

http://www.tate.org.uk/colddarkmatter/darkpanorama.htm

There's part of me that wonders how this would translate into VR, and another part that knows the gulf between the picture and the physical object.