TOP TEN REASONS to Ditch Your Artist Statement for a BLOG:
1. A good blog post is around 500 words and can be scanned by someone at their crappy day job. No more swallowed-the-dictionary writing!
2. Geoffrey's "Compilation of Tinkerings Maxim". Any blog entry is, by definition, not the last thing you have to say.
3. Blogs do not stand next to your art, cannot be confused for your art, and cannot prop up your art.
4. The success of a blog is determined largely by the number of links. Linking to what is outside is very different from cleaving to that special little nugget locked within the Individual Artist.
5. Comments, comments, comments.
6. Blogs encourage regular writing. No more constipated, vague language!
7. It's just a blog. Bloggers are, by definition, not authorities. They're just folks, and the writing bloggers do tends to be more exploratory than authoritative.
8. People actually read blogs.
9. The word Blog is just as ugly as the art you're supposed to love.
10. My friends think I'm sexier with a blog!!!
Courtesy of Deborah Fisher + a couple from HLIB and a little nod to Geoffrey Non-Prophet