Tuesday, June 20, 2006

More Gore...

Low and behold I ran into Al Gore again last night on Charlie Rose. Obviously the discussion centered on the film but some themes were expanded. The tipping point discussed was a 10 year grace period that Gore firmly believes we have - God I hope it is more than that. He still thinks radical change is possible which is an optimism I wholly embrace even if I don't fully believe it. Being a "half-full" person ain't so easy for me these days. The whole time you watch the interview you realize just how poorly our government is performing and just how disasterous a mistake it was to have Bush enter the White House. The race should have never even been close. Gore again comes off as flexible and agile of mind and quite honestly, a very feeling person. Some might call it Presidential.

Here's the episode if your interested - Al Gore on Charlie Rose.

2 comments:

fisher6000 said...

Yeah, that sense of leadership impresses me about this Gore fellow as well. Do I like him more now because he's better, or because I know what evil lurks behind Door Number Two?

The problem with the movie, though, highlow (and I say this as a pathologically optimistic person) is that it is functioning in the marketplace. It winds up working with Bush, et al, carving up the society into preselected choirs of believers. I wish it wasn't true, but how many people who don't believe climate change is happening and is a problem are going to plunk down 11 samoleans and two hours of their time willingly?

I'll call the leadership veneer, the sheen of leadership, an actual quality when it's more than talks on campuses and a movie that panders to the converted.

Until then, still banging the drum...

highlowbetween said...

Well, I'll confess that back in 2000 I was pretty lukewarm to Gore. I would have preferred another option. That being said, I do think the meat grinder he has gone through since then has seemingly reshaped him into less a bureaucrat. I feel there is more substance there than simply better than Bush.
The film has limits there is no question. But the campus strategy does have impact I think. I also think that a film is really one of the only ways outside of legislation to get the message to a larger audience. I'm not sure it is simply the converted seeing the film. I'm sure its the bulk of the crowd but I'd argue that there has to be some fence sitters going. A lot of people are waking up - whether enough are waking up is the question - and how fast. I do think that film is a good start and perhaps tangentially helps efforts such as the Chicago Climate Exchange get some traction. I pray that it is not simply a wedge as you postulate.
Keeping the faith - with my hands over my eyes!